Monday 1 October 2007

re behaviour management in a supportive classroom: as per facebook discussion

behaviour mgt in any classroom means setting clear expectations, referring to my expectations regularly and positively (ie not in a threatening manner) and rewarding with positive praise, encouragement and favourite activity time when the level of behaviour is demonstrated consistently.

for example, a primary school class (let's say, year 5) are chatty, chatty and distracted because it's monday and they're in weekend-school transition. I would Make a Deal, after waiting for quiet, then reminding them, 'eyes here and listen when I'm speaking, thanks,' then referring with a gesture to the printed expectation in the room ('We listen when others are speaking'. remember, rules are there to be challenged but an expectation is something to strive for), then issuing a warning if necessary ('if you are still talking rather than listening, you are demonstrating that you would like to spend morning tea with me instead of with your friends')...then Make a Deal: we have 10 minutes to listen, then we can spend some time catching up with friends when we look at our Interview structure. or: attentive listening this week earns you extra play time because we will have saved time in class (apply to individuals or whole class. if it's a whole class deal make sure the whole class get the reward and you don't re-neg for an individual who slips up by the end of the week).

in the same situation within middle school or older, I basically follow the same action hierarchy but I might skip a few steps and just make a deal, especially for a drama class. drama classes are different, no matter what anyone tells you. as a drama teacher, I make allowances, particularly for that initial settling time at the beginning of the lesson. We usually start with a little chat and What’s News or What’s Happening in your World or What do you think About (if I’m supervising someone else’s class I always start this way to get them on side and they usually get the set work done because I’ve shown an interest in it and where they’re at with it).

if I know we'll be short on time, drama kids walk right into a serious focus exercise (eg Columbian Hypnosis. fascinating. do this with your tutorial group).

age, subject, school-doesn't matter-I share high expectations at the outset. some classes say, 'oh, miss so and so never expects that,' or 'we haven't ever had to do that before,' or 'we usually get more time to do that,' to which I respond, 'so impress me.'

examples-

younger children: today we have Finn's mum to help with reading circles, and we have music straight after lunch so you will need to line up outside the music room when you hear the bell. this morning we are going to interview a friend about what they did on the weekend and then we are going on with the fractions games and measurement in maths groups.

older kids in any classroom: we have this and this and this to do today. this has to be completed before middle session. I need to see this before the end of the day. Individual work will be done silently unless you are conferencing with me. Groups or pairs will work quietly and cooperatively.

for a drama class, maybe middle school (which you would not make as many allowances for as a senior class!): during this session, you have lines to learn and a group scene to rehearse. I will wander to see each group at work. when you're not needed, learn some lines. work anywhere quietly.

re consequences:

some schools have strict policy for behaviour mgt, which you need to follow to the letter. for example, the school I'm currently at has a Withdrawal Room, which other teachers don't hesitate to use. its purpose is to house disruptive students, whose presence in the room does not allow you to continue teaching. they may be incessant talkers or they may be angry or emotional or violent. whatever, they go to the withdrawal room. 3 withdrawal room trips = an after school detention. 3 after school detentions = suspension.

I'm a good communicator and very patient, so my older drama kids don't get sent to this room for talking away...in the first instance. I talk with them first, remind them of my expectations and their ability and their friends' time and energy in the same space. usually they go, 'ok, cool, miss. I'm sorry I wasted this time. I actually really like this class.' I have also sent disruptive drama students to time out initially, then spoken to them privately about, 'what the hec is going on today?' usually they respond honestly and there's an outside issue they're grappling with and they want to re-join their peers. so, my (non) use of the withdrawal room has already been questioned by staff. my HOD makes kids stay behind to tidy the props and costume rooms. another colleague likes giving lines (think of Bart- I will not dance in my underwear in the studio I will not....) and yet another threatens to email the parents (works on some kids, completely ineffectual on others).

what else?

I do old-fashioned rewards too. kids love lollies! though many schools now have healthy eating policies and Parents and Friends associations have banned giving lollies as rewards, there are the natural food company (all natural) lollies and there are certainly fresh strawberries, blueberries and natural frozen yoghurts to give! I have also promised (and of course delivered) cupcakes at the end of a week/term for a whole class reward. stickers and star charts are by no means over-rated but I don't think they are used very effectively by many teachers. especially for behaviour. you end up getting irate parents who question exactly which incident it was that made their child a 'bad' child with 3 stars, rather than a 'good, golden' child with 5 stickers (if you keep immaculate behaviour records, this will never be a problem!)

as an individual behaviour mgt plan for a specific set of behaviours, stickers are excellent. as a fun, visual reminder that they are terrific kids, stickers are excellent. as a visual reminder in their diaries or work books that you have sighted the work, or noticed an improvement wherever, stickers are excellent. the big kids love stickers too! but only very occasionally, as a novelty! a smile, a word of praise and a mention to another teacher or to the principal and to the parents will also improve a child's self-esteem and desire to do their best!

my summary?

set high expectations (make sure they are also realistic). reinforce your expectations verbally and through communication books or diaries or homework books and parent letters, so you've got support from home. and the school. use the program the school has worked so hard to implement, eg You Can Do It! ot Pathways. refer to written or visual reminders around the room. preferably out of a negotiated session with the kids, so expectations are in their own words. discuss and agree on consequences (which should also be able to be seen in the room).

pre-empt negative behaviour and re-direct kids before a disaster occurs! give clear directions and be open to all sorts of questions. a lot of behaviour mgt is as easy (or as complicated) as making sure kids understand the task at hand so that they are interested and busy.

give lots of positive praise and point out the good stuff (not to favour individuals too often though). refer to the good stuff before you begin the next thing, eg 'you guys worked so quietly this morning during writing circles- well done. I know we'll be able to publish our stories on our website next week after such a great start!' and 'what a beautiful clear voice you used, whoever. Now everyone knows what I mean when I say to project your voice. I can't wait to hear whoever present their speech next,' (and don't forget to congratulate your audience for being such good listeners!)

be mindful of cultural differences. for example, in Mt Isa I would never openly and loudly praise or discipline my indigenous students because that was 'shame, miss' (they were embarressed to be congratulated or admonished in front of the class). instead, I sat beside them or removed them from the room to speak quietly with them, or if it was just a 'good job' comment, I would make it quietly and at the same time gently tap the page they were working on (I have also tapped pages loudly-rapped!-to re-direct non-indigenous students. if these little allowances are not taken too far out of context they don't become extreme or racist in any way. they are part of getting to know your students and teaching them in a compassionate manner. same goes with eye contact. if an indigenous student has been brought up to show respect by lowering their eyes when you speak to them (as opposed to our demand that one must make eye contact to show respect), it seems unfair to change that cultural thing just to suit us. however, having said that, the kids with whom I worked for three years, worked WITH me to show respect by meeting my eyes once I'd finished speaking, to tell me, 'yes miss.' I felt a fair compromise was reached.

rewards can be verbal and non-verbal (as can reminders/re-directions). keep your promises and give rewards consistently (kids will tell you if they didn't get a sticker. they will go home and tell mum that you were mean to them if you don't give them a smile. true.)

give fair consequences consistently. always follow up with the student.

some teachers claim to be better (more patient, more compassionate) teachers after becoming parents. I think I just have funny anecdotes to share more often, especially with drama students!

No comments: