Wednesday 25 January 2012

A Rainy Day Out(fit)

Does everybody freak out when it rains now? It's not surprising, given the devastating events this time last year. Some of our low-lying Sunshine Coast roads were closed earlier today and a couple of the schools are either closed or discouraging students from attending. Like they needed discouraging.

But it pays to keep calm and carry on. The wet weather brings out the best and the worst in people, particularly during the school run (SLOW DOWN), coming up to roundabouts (SLOW DOWN, TURN ON YOUR LIGHTS AND INDICATE) and whilst waiting at the check out of your usually friendly local supermarket. To be honest, I don't mind doing the shopping or the school run in the rain; it's fun and I usually go barefoot so as not to ruin a good pair of shoes (suede and rain don't mix, people). Oh, and there's another reason for going barefoot in the rain.

That's right.

I'm actually the Vita Weat mum, who enjoys jumping in puddles.

No, alright, you got me; that's not me. Nevertheless, I love that she doesn't care about the state of those cute shoes. But I'm not earning commercial actor's wages at the moment so I need my shoes to last through rain, hail and shine.

There are those who appear completely unaffected by the dramatic changes in the weather, managing to keep calm and carry on in a decidedly stylish manner. They probably enjoy jumping in puddles too but they probably do it on the non-work/non-school days. These are, in fact, the yummy mummies of the Sunshine Coast, who appear so calm and cool that it appears they are in complete denial about the weather and apparently, dressed yesterday, in the deluge, LIKE THIS

This is Nikki, a friend who, although a bit of a celebrity herself, believes sunnies are not just for celebrities and sunny days. She is a big fan of the appropriate use of accessories (aren't we all?) and making the latest trend suit the individual. It's her job. She is an undisputed authority on what to wear and - obviously - completely stubborn when it comes to damn-the-weather-to-hell daily dressing options (in the best, most stylish way possible, of course)!

Check out Nikki's multi award winning blog stylingyou.com.au

In the meantime, in stark comparison, I was dressed today for A Rainy Day Out! I thought the decision had been made early, that there would be no school for Poppy (her school is not closed, it's just that she would have gotten away with missing today so I was happy to support her in giving it a shot). She got up and put on Mary Poppins instead of her Epona Yoga DVD and I got the distinct impression from her rather relaxed behaviour and our very specific conversation, that she was content to have a day with Mama. Yay! We were off to have tea and cake and to check out a few houses (Yes. Don't get too excited. They're just rentals. We’re moving...again)!

Note: you know, don't you, that I was going to home school Poppy? Imagine being home schooled by ME! WHEEEEEEEEE! Imagine her disappointment when she realised that her daddy won that argument and that she will continue to attend a regular school. Actually, she loves her regular school and she loves her work and her friends and her teachers there.

When Mary Poppins finished and she wiped away her tears, Poppy decided to go to school after all and ran upstairs to get dressed. A touch of mother guilt (she should be at school) was suddenly heavily outweighed by a slap of disappointment (she doesn't want to spend the day with me)! Ouch!

N.B. I'm grateful that my child loves going to school and can't bear to be away. How lucky am I?

ANYWAY. Here's my rainy day outfit.

My Rainy Day Outfit consists simply, of two layers of old Metalicus, which can be hitched up and then peeled off if I get absolutely soaked and my fave Intimo under (and over. Oh, how I love my Long Wrap). In my experience, and whilst in between styles at the moment, it’s pretty useless doing hair on a wet day (or else I'm not as keen as Nikki and other more dedicated hair-carers, to wield the GHD every day) so I’ve pinched borrowed Poppy’s Mini Metalicus headband. I bought her a Mary Poppins parrot head umbrella when we went to see the show so I can do no wrong at the moment and I may wear whatever I like from her wardrobe. To solve the hair issue for brighter days, I say bring on the blonde Lisbeth Salander - the original shape - the Noomi Rapace version. If anyone can do it, it's my talented friend, Maria Faulder at Suite Three Hair & Beauty.

Of course I’m wearing my tough, hippie-chick steel-capped wellies from Bunnings, which I bought for the infamously wet week at Woodford Folk Festival 2010-2011. It was the second wettest year out there EVER. If I was stupidly wealthy (or if I was just stupid), I would have laid out a couple of hundred bucks for a pair of the very lovely, fancy Hunter wellies especially for the week at Woodfordia.

No, not very “Woodford” at all, are they? I'll give the festival another year or three to get THAT fancy (and then I might not go at all because it will not be the Woodford we know and love! I remember, back in the day, when we went around barefoot!) This year at the festival, I barely wore the wellies – the weather was so good – and instead, slipped across the gravel between venues in my (fancy) Gisele Bundchen flip flops. Any excuse now to get the gumboots on (and get the smiles from surprised local folk) will do. It’s FUN to wear wellies on the Sunshine Rain Soaked Coast!

Today, my wellies and I have already been on the school run - at 10:30am - and to get hot chocolate, fresh fruit and veges and some no-brand snacks (from ALDI! I KNOW! I WENT BACK! AGAIN! AND ON SPECIALS DAY! I was fine there, not in the least nauseous or suicidal and overall, it was a Good Grocery Experience. I have a new, broader world view on it now, which has helped me to see it in a softer, more flattering light). Next, my wellies and I are off to do the school pick up, take the school girl to swimming and to check out a couple more of the upcoming rental properties.

There will be jumping and stomping and splashing along the way!

P.S. If you're interested, as I know some of you are, I'm using gorgeous Aesop skin products at the moment and my makeup is Illamasqua primer & skin base foundation and Lancome colour. I like to mix it up a bit. Also, my legs are unwaxed.

Wow. There you have it. There ain't nothin' like the full disclosure of the blogosphere.

P.P.S. Good luck dressing and driving and playing and dancing and singing in the rain!



1 comment:

Nikki @ Styling You said...

LOL. So funny. It was actually sunny yesterday morning so needed sunnies and my hair didn't last much longer than the photo (wishful thinking!). My shoes are 5 years old and my wet weather shoes!!