Tuesday 17 April 2012

The $21 Challenge



Today I shopped with just $21 to get everything we needed for the rest of the week. Actually, I forgot to get toothpaste but Sam always says there's enough toothpaste to last until February so it's on the list for January sales shopping. Today $21 was all I had on me and I didn't even need to go back to our local Doom & Gloom (otherwise known as Aldi). I took off to Woolworths while Poppy was at ballet.

It should be noted that the time constraint was an additional challenge for me. I like to look around when I shop. I'm what you might call a "relaxed shopper".

With an optimistic spring in my step, knowing that, at the very least, bread would be reduced at the end of the day, I headed for the bakery. I was right about the bread so I bought 2 loaves for $5 (I know it costs even less to make my own bread but I can't for the life of me remember who I gave the bread maker to and I need to be in the mood, with the time to spare, to make bread from scratch).



I also found cheaper apples, pumpkin (for soup and scones), potatoes, carrots, milk and our lucky luxury item of the week: Nutella. Let's hear it for Nutella! It's all Poppy will have on her sandwiches at the moment so if we're honest, Nutella is one of those items that sits somewhere between "luxury" and "absolute necessity". I go through similar phases with knee-high black boots.



So with Nutella and just a couple of basics in my little black basket, I made my way from one end of the Arnett's aisle to the other (big mistake: shelves of Tim Tam Temptation) and I experienced a moment of panic. I didn't really keep track of the cost of my items. I had a vague idea that I might be a little over my $21... I might have to put back the Nutella. Noooooooooo!

Have you ever had to put back an item because you'd gone over budget? Do you ever shop using the calculator app on your iPhone (or a shopping partner who is good at mental arithmetic) in order to avoid that mortifying moment at the check-out? I saw it last week. In Buderim, a young couple played Race Around the World in Woolworths, one checking a handwritten list and navigating, the other checking prices and keeping a running total on the iPhone. What a team!

I was thinking that maybe it's not such a silly idea. Maths is not my strong point. I missed the basics. It wasn't until I learnt how to teach maths to primary school children that I could confidently add to ten. It's true! I slipped through the cracks!

Luckily, my vague estimate was near enough and I paid $21.05 without having to hand over Poppy's Nutella. Phew! And it was then that I realised I'd unintentionally and successfully completed The $21 Challenge. I realised that I've been deleting emails for over a year from simplesavings.com.au

WHY? Why would I do that?

Fiona Lippey has helped people lower their bills for 8 years. She says her site has collated over 50 000 money saving tips! Apparently, The $21 Challenge keeps many households in the country in check. My only concern with it is that it's too easy to buy inexpensive bad food. High quality organic and fresh, healthy foods - unless they come from your own back yard - cost more.

The $21 Challenge worked for me this week because I had already prepared soup, and a lamb stew for main meals (I'm quite organised sometimes. During a show I need to be but Travelling North closes this weekend so it will be interesting to see what we'll eat next week! Stay tuned!) Plus, I already had a roast and some diced beef in the freezer, rice, noodles, cous cous, tuna, tomatoes and beans in the pantry and eggs, pate and stewed peaches in the fridge (peaches were on special at The Fruit Barn so I did what Mum would do and cooked them up for a sweet treat), as well as everything I need to make pancakes, cake, biscuits and an array of slices. Not that I have time to bake before Monday...

My version of the $21 Challenge goes like this: take note of what's already in the house, prepare to use what you've got and only get basics that will add to the week's meals (this means you need to have some idea of what you'll do for the week's meals. This is hard for me since I tend to MAKE UP STUFF. I like versatile basics). Cleaning products can wait (you probably have some natural stuff that you didn't know will do a better, safer job than the costly supermarket products anyway). Toothpaste can wait (there's enough to last until February). And whatever else you think you need, you don't. Not yet. Remember the Arnott's aisle? DON'T GO THERE! Chocolate? Lollies? Soft drink? Chips? Packaged school snacks full of artificial colours and flavours and enough sugar to sink a ship? DON'T GO THERE!

It's expensive to shop at the organic stores so we need to start shopping around. We need to get up earlier and get to the markets. We need to cook healthy meals using what we've got. We need to GROW more. With just $21 to spend, your groceries may not be entirely organic or cruelty-free (compare the cost of Homebrand caged eggs vs independent free range eggs and the vast difference in price between various brands of tinned tuna!) but the 30 minute $21 shopping trip has its place in our household and it may well be time to make room for it in yours.

Are you up for the challenge? Try it! It's kinda fun (pick the Girl Guide)!

Then let me know how you go.

P.S. Would it help to share some recipes? I make up a lot of stuff, using what's in the kitchen already so it doesn't go to waste. Can you believe I used chick peas, rice, potatoes, celery, baby spinach and vegetable stock to whip up a delicious soup today? If you're a bit of a Surprise Chef I'd love you to share with us here, some of your creations and inspirations.


No comments: