Wednesday 8 February 2012

SUN

#febphotoaday #day8 #sun #mooloolaba

Sunshine. Such a simple joy. Following a dark, cloudy morning, the sun's appearance is the reminder we need, that "this too shall pass" and that nothing is too hard, too much, too lost or too forgotten. The sign that everything will be alright in the end. The only light we cannot turn off with the flick of a switch. The hope and happiness of couples in love, children at play and individuals who still dare to dream.

As we do a friend, we seem to forgive too often, Sun's searing, burning, damaging qualities. Too long spent under its delicious rays and we shrug off our red, raw, stinging skin. "Oh well. I'll try not to get burnt next time." And we heal. And, just as we allow a friend to do, just as we've healed, we let the sun get to us again. The long-term effects are not pretty.

Funny that, as I write, my phone rings with the offer of solar power for my home. Instead of feeling annoyed by the call, I feel like I'm solar-powered already! I am an energy efficient, firing on solar power person! I don't tell her this. I don't want to scare her (she's just doing her job). Hers is such a friendly voice that I simply say, "I don't own my home. I'm just borrowing it."Before I hang up, I realise that this may just be the weirdest way ever to say, "No, thank you" and I can hear the woman wondering anyway.

The trick is not to stay too long under the sun's spell. Like the friend that it is, love it, admire it, appreciate it, use its energy for good not evil, enjoy the time with it and if you over-indulge occasionally or let it hurt you, be prepared to take a little break from each other. The sun is one of those friends we need to read and, from time to time, keep a safe distance from. Simple.

A simple joy.

No comments: