Saturday 4 February 2012

STRANGER

#febphotoaday #day4 #stranger #crazylady #caloundra

Not scary crazy but interesting, fascinating, intriguing crazy. Standing, staring; considering hats on display out front of a two dollar shop (is there really anything there for two dollars?) and asking in frustration, nobody in particular, "Why can't I put hats on today?!" like there was some universal force present, preventing her from putting on hats. I don't know. Maybe there was. Maybe Caloundra had a NO HATS policy today and the two dollar shop had put them out on the street to test us and try to catch us out. I know I couldn't bring myself to try on one of those hats either, although, more than the (two dollar) look of the hats, or any of my own crazy hang ups, it was the thought of all the other crazy ladies who'd put on those hats before me. Ugh. Think about it.

This woman was visibly tormented and before I could say something sagely and comforting, like,"It's okay. There will be other days to try on hats" she turned and walked away, swaying slightly, as though overcome; mentally and physically exhausted by the whole hat experience. To my surprise, she suddenly twirled around and laughed RIGHT AT ME as though she was so familiar with people watching her and wondering if she was okay that she had to laugh and let them know - let me know - that it really wouldn't be necessary to call anyone. It almost had the opposite effect on me and as I watched her turn her back on me and make her way up the street, off to wherever she might call home, I hoped she wouldn't stumble into traffic, like the old, drunk guy saved (twice) by Sam in the Valley one evening. I wondered if, like on that night, we should have walked that crazy, bare-headed person to her door.


No comments: