Tuesday 14 February 2012

HEART




#febphotoaday #day14 #heart #cake


Happy Valentine's Day, lovers!

It was a big, busy, budgeted day for us this year, without extra gifts or flowers or cards. To have an evening at home and enjoy a delicious home-cooked dinner together was a treat!




I baked two cakes - pink vanilla marble butter cakes - the first for afternoon tea with my mum and her sister, my Aunty Barb. The otherI covered in buttercream and served as dessert with cups of tea and Ferrero Rochers. I would have covered it in lashings of whipped cream but I left the cream out on the bench during dinner and when I beat it, it went to butter.



After 10 years of marriage (and 13 Valentine's Days), it would be problematic to save up all the romantic stuff for just one day of the year. We just wouldn't make it through from one Valentine's to the next. We celebrate the small stuff and have special dinner, candles, wine, chocolates and flowers when the mood takes us.

I'll leave you with Sam's thoughts at the end of Valentine's Day.

"No matter how many Valentine's Days you may have with somebody, there's still something special about it. Even though you know the commercial aspects of the day are bad for you, you know the day itself is good. We need the little reminders sometimes, from Hallmark, from random roadside shameless flower sellers, from Facebook status updates...

Would I miss Valentine's Day if we didn't celebrate it? Yes, I would. You never realise how important something is until you don't have it. Today was good because we had a beautiful meal together at home. I'm grateful. Today was bad because I had to work. I want the day off next year. It should be a public holiday of love. Today sure trumped the Valentine's Day when you wouldn't talk to me because I got a tattoo. That was bad.

Hey, what if we won the fifteen million?"



No comments: